Training & course fees
We want everyone who takes on a Greene King pub to really understand – and make the most of – their business. That’s why all our licensees receive mandatory training. The courses we offer have been tried and tested and independently reviewed to ensure we offer the best, practical, relevant advice on taking over a new pub, protecting your investment and helping you and your business grow.
Here's what you need to do:
Before you can run a pub business with Greene King, you must have:
- Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders to obtain a Personal Licence (APLH)
The Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (SCPLH) (if your pub is in Scotland)
- Pre-Entry Awareness Training (PEAT) provided by the BII (British Institute of Innkeeping)
- Safe Start Online Training to understand your responsibilities (and ours) before you move into your pub
Before you run a Greene King Pub Partners pub, you should attend:
- Go For Growth: Planning for Success to help you understand your pub business
- Essential Finance to make sure you are able to manage the costs, sales and profitability of your business
- Retail Excellence to deliver the highest quality service for your customers
- Cellar Management to ensure that your customers are guaranteed a quality pint of our award-winning beer
- Specialist Tenant Training
We run Go For Growth, Essential Finance and Retail Excellence courses as three-day blocks at venues throughout England and Scotland.
(All prices do not include VAT, which will be charged at standard rate).
We also offer regular, optional courses that can help to grow your business, as well as online training modules for you and your staff.
Online modules are available to all Pub Partner licensees and their staff, and they can be accessed through PubPartners.net, or the Greene King training team, who can be contacted here. All modules are available at a rate of just £15 plus VAT, apart from the PLH, which is £125 plus VAT.
Available courses include:
- Coffee training
- Customer service training
- First Aid awareness training
- Licensing & Social Responsibility (England & Wales)
- Licensing & Social Responsibility (Scotland)
- The Bartender
- Food Safety Level 2
- Health & Safety
- Working in a kitchen
- Wine training
- Personal Licence for England & Wales (APLH) or Scotland (SCPLH) - the theory training is done online, and the exam is sat at a Pearson Vue test centre.
Online training modules £15 each.
How to pay
Before you move into your pub, you will need to set up a training fund (minimum £800) to cover your training costs.
How to book
Booking your training is simple. Please either complete the Booking form online or call the training team directly on 01284 714375 for further information. Once booked, we'll confirm that a place has been reserved for you at the nearest training venue.