Compulsory training

Essential short courses to get your pub started

Before you enter your pub, we need to make sure that you will be operating your business legally and safely.

Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders/Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders: £130

This course is designed to give you an understanding of Licensing Law issues and prepare you to sit the APLH exam (or SCPLH in Scotland). Anyone authorising the sale of alcohol to the public must hold a Personal Licence.

  • How to apply for a Personal Licence
  • Roles, legal responsibilities and the penalties for failure to comply with the law
  • The Premises Licence
  • The roles and duties of a Designated Premises Supervisor
  • Rights of entry to Licensed Premises
  • Temporary Events Notices (TENs)
  • The content and purpose of operating schedules
  • Police powers with regard to suspension and closure of Licensed Premises
  • Strengths of alcoholic drinks, and effects on the human body
  • The responsible retail sale of alcohol.

Book this course now

Pre-entry Awareness Training (PEAT): £75

PEAT is taken online to confirm that you understand the obligations of taking out a Tenancy or Lease Agreement with a pub company. This is managed by the BII (British Institute of Innkeeping) and you can take the course any time via the BII website at

  • It takes around 5 hours to complete the training
  • At the end there is a short test
  • On completion, you’ll be provided with a BIIAB (British Institute of Innkeepers Awarding Body) certificate.

Book this course now

Level 2 Award in Food Safety: £10 (if you’ll be preparing food)

If you are going to be preparing food, you and your team must have gained the Level 2 Award in Food Safety. Our online training module is for all chefs and kitchen staff to cover the areas they must undertake by law before working in a kitchen.

  • Food legislation
  • Bacteria in food, food poisoning and food contamination
  • The food journey – purchase to service
  • Cleaning
  • Hygiene and health at work
  • The module is fully compliant and has been endorsed by the SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority) and the IOH (Institute of Hospitality) and accredited by the NSA (National Skills Academy)

Book this course now

Safe Start: £20

Online training designed to guide you through safety checks and to advise you about both Greene King's and your responsibilities before you move into your pub.

Book this course now

Taking on a new pub is an exciting time, there's a lot to do and you'll soon be planning how you are going to run your business. You also have legal and compliance obligations before you can start trading - we can make it easy for you by providing the courses to help you understand your responsibilities or plug any gaps in your skills.