When You Join Us
'Some Pub Partners Agreement types also require that you do extra or additional training as a condition of the Agreement. Generally, this is where you may be expected to operate your business to agreed performance standards or where you do not have experience of working in the hospitality industry. The exact requirements may vary but the following summary will help you.'
All Licensees entering into a new agreement with Greene King will need to undergo training. This will ensure that you operate your business safely and within the law. It will also help you to focus your business plan and set goals and targets.
PEAT is taken online to confirm that you understand the obligations of taking out a Tenancy or Lease Agreement with a pub company.
- You can take the course any time via the BII website at www.bii.org
- It takes approximately 90 minutes to complete the training
- There are 7 modules and at the end there is a short test
- On completion, you’ll be provided with a BIIAB (British Institute of Innkeepers Awarding Body) certificate
- For more information, visit www.bii.org/industry-advice/peat
Online training designed to guide you through safety checks and to advise you about both Greene King's and your responsibilities before you move into your pub.
Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders/Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders: £130 per person plus VAT
Anyone authorising the sale of alcohol to the public must hold a Personal Licence.
- How to apply for a Personal Licence
- Roles, legal responsibilities and the penalties for failure to comply with the law
- The Premises Licence
- The roles and duties of a Designated Premises Supervisor
- Rights of entry to Licensed Premises
- Temporary Events Notices (TENs)
- The content and purpose of operating schedules
- Police powers with regard to suspension and closure of Licensed Premises
- Strengths of alcoholic drinks, and effects on the human body
- The responsible retail sale of alcohol
If you are going to be preparing food, you and your team must have gained the Level 2 Award in Food Safety.
- Our online training module is for all chefs and kitchen team members to cover the areas they must undertake by law before working in a kitchen.
- Food legislation
- Bacteria in food, food poisoning and food contamination
- The food journey – purchase to service
- Hygiene and health at work
- The module is fully compliant and has been endorsed by the SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority) and the IOH (Institute of Hospitality) and accredited by the NSA (National Skills Academy).
Beer Genius is an industry-leading online resource for Licensees that helps you improve the standard of every pint you pour. It has a handy self-diagnosis tool that means you can fix a problem in your cellar there and then so you don’t waste beer trying to work out what you need to fix!
- Beer brand information
- ‘How to’ videos
- E-learning courses
- Book face-to-face training
- Best Practice guides
- Cellar Doctor fault finding service
The site works on PC, tablet or smartphone so it’s great for team members if they are in the cellar and have a beer problem to sort out.
These interactive free e-learning modules take from 30 to 45 minutes to complete and cover essential knowledge in a structured format. Sit the course at your PC, tablet or smartphone and take as long as you like, save and return at a later date or complete in one sitting. It’s up to you. Then print off your personalised course certificate and prove you are a beer genius.
- Bar Genius - Learn how to operate your own bar
- Cellar Genius - How to manage your cellar
- Commercial Genius - Learn how to optimise your profits
Our Cellar trainers will demonstrate how to manage your cellar effectively to ensure consistent quality, high yield and Guest satisfaction.
- Introduction to the perfect pint
- Cask beer and cask practical
- Keg beer and keg practical
- Gas systems and coolers
- Cleaning, hygiene and food safety
- Glass washing
- Product presentation
- At the end of the day you will sit the BIIAB Award in Beer Cellar Quality
This workshop will help you bring to life your vision and plan for your new business and to build a clear vision of what your business will be famous for. Understanding that the people you recruit or the menu choices you make all have an impact. Your Day 1 will end with a study tour of the town before a group evening meal.
This workshop will enable you to review learnings from Day 1 and reflect on the study tour and the impact this will have on your own customer journey for your pub.
Your tutor will help you to understand how profit is generated in retailing and understanding the costs and impact promotions and entertainment have on your business.
£500 first person plus VAT
£300 second person attending (sharing accommodation) plus VAT