GREENE KING WINS ‘LEADERSHIP OF THE YEAR’ AT UK SOCIAL MOBILITY AWARDS 2020
Greene King’s commitment to promoting social mobility across its 38,000 employees has been recognised at the UK Social Mobility Awards, with the company handed the Leadership of the Year prize.
The award recognises companies that have taken their commitment to social mobility to new places in unexpected ways, creating effective changes along the way. The support offered by Greene King to communities during the Covid-19 pandemic was also highlighted at the awards.
The awards took place virtually on Thursday 8 October.
Greene King’s entry included its recent work on:
- The Releasing Potential programme to support ex-offenders into employment
- Its commitment to increase the number of apprenticeships on offer
- Becoming one of the first hospitality signatories to the Business in the Community’s Race at Work Charter
- Increasing support for internal career progression
- Extending a partnership with the Prince’s Trust
- Support for employees during the Covid-19 crisis, including regular communications, a Team Member Support Fund of £500,000 for employees in the greatest financial need, food donations to organisations such as Fareshare and the Felix Project and donating £20,000 to The Prince’s Trust Young Persons’ Relief Fund to support young people facing uncertainty in work and careers during the pandemic
Greene King continues to work hard to promote career opportunities and support communities that are overlooked and overshadowed due to social disadvantage. This has meant engaging and building new alliances with a range of stakeholders that can support, shine a spotlight, widen its social mobility footprint and lead the way for others to follow.
Greene King’s Head of Apprenticeships and Employability Programmes Graham Briggs said: “It’s a great honour to see this vital work recognised, and we’re very grateful to all our partners who support us in achieving our social mobility goals. We will continue doing all we can to raise awareness of the importance of social mobility, which continues to be a core focus at the heart of Greene King.
“With our 1,700 pubs spread nationwide we’re able to make real and meaningful changes to support communities across the UK and build a business that’s inclusive and creating opportunities for all as we continue to make sure that social mobility is at the top of the agenda.”