How do we use your personal data?

When you use our websites

Most of our websites use cookies. Cookies are small text files which websites store on the device you use to access our websites. Some cookies contain personal data. In general, we use cookies to run our websites, monitor their use and understand how our customers use them. See our cookie policy for more details.

When you make an initial enquiry about our pubs and we send you direct marketing

When you make an initial enquiry about our pubs by signing up for pub alerts, research information or planning information, we will ask for your name, phone number, email address,  the region you are interested in, and how far you are progressed with your business plans so that we can send you some direct marketing.

We use the information you provide to personalise our direct marketing, such as by addressing you by name, and targeting our marketing based on where you live.  We will not send you excessive amounts of marketing and every marketing message we send includes an easy way for you to opt out.

If you opt out of direct marketing

You can opt out of receiving direct marketing at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions in any of our marketing messages.

When you go through the application process to become one of our licensees

When you decide that you are ready to apply for one of our pubs, we ask for more information from you.  We ask for your title, full name, maiden name (if applicable), address, date of birth, phone number and email address.  We also ask for how you are likely to want to operate the pub (sole trader, partnership or limited company) and for further information to help us get to know you better.  This includes your recent trade or business experience, a CV, whether you have had any specific training on running a pub, the amount and source of funding available to you and whether you have ever been declared bankrupt or have any county court judgments against you.

To progress your application further you will need to provide proof of your ID such as a copy of your passport, proof of funding and a business plan.  You will be asked to sign a credit check consent form to enable us to verify your creditworthiness as part of our recruitment process.

We will use all of this information, as well as information from third parties to help us decide whether to grant a Greene King lease or tenancy to you.  Please see the section on who we share data with for more information.

When you undertake any training either before or once you become a Greene King licensee

A key part of being a Greene King licensee is that we offer training to prospective and current licensees in a range of areas, to help you make the most of your business, some of which is mandatory.  We will keep a record of any training you undertake at our request.

When we help you run your business with direct financial support

We can provide you with specific help to run your business.  This can include direct financial support via our assisted purchase agreements or help with investment in your pub or help if your business is struggling.  To qualify for these you will need to provide information on your financial position (latest accounts and VAT returns, stock take results, bank statements, debts) and on what you are looking to do to and how it will improve your business. 

When we market relevant services to you

We run promotions from time to time and can help our licensees save money on things you need to run your business.  This includes beer and other drinks, food, utilities, card processing services and a range of other goods and services.  To do this we may share some licensee details (name, address, phone number, email address and agreement details) with our suppliers.  Please see the section on who we share data with for more information.

When you join one of our special interest groups such as our Sports Club

We run a number of special interest groups designed to cater for pubs with specific offers, such as our Sports Club or the Head Brewer’s Club and to join you will need to provide us with details of your pub offer.

When we manage our relationship with you

We use the personal data that you provided to us as part of your application process, any further information that you provide or that we acquire during the course of your tenancy or any changes that you advise us from time to time to manage our relationship with you as your landlord, to communicate with you and to ensure that we and you comply with our respective obligations under the lease or tenancy agreement and under the Pubs Code etc. Regulations 2016.  This includes conducting rent reviews, lease or tenancy renewals, lease assignments, dealing with any market rent only (MRO) enquiries, negotiations and appeals and ultimately ending our relationship with you when you leave the pub. 

We will also use that data to communicate to you things like price increases, to manage your account with us, to deal with licensing issues, the supply of gaming machines and, if appropriate, food.

When we deal with the licensing requirements of your pub

If you are to be the designated premises supervisor (or designated premises manager in Scotland) of your pub we ask you to consent to that appointment by completing and signing a consent form and application form containing your name, address, date of birth, place of birth, nationality, your personal licence number and issuing authority so that we can liaise with the relevant local authority on your behalf.

When you make a payment, sign a direct debit mandate, use our online ordering system or request a refund

In order for you to pay your rent or for any goods or services that Greene King provide, or use our online ordering system, we will need your bank details and may ask you to sign a direct debit mandate form.  If you pay for anything with a payment card, we will ask for your name and the card number, start and expiry date, verification code (CVC). We will also need these details to make any refunds.

When you submit queries or complaints

We may ask for your name and telephone number or email address so that we can identify you and discuss your enquiry with you. We will also ask for any other relevant information, such the nature of your enquiry or complaint. We will use this information to take your enquiry and respond appropriately to it, where appropriate in accordance with the Pubs Code etc. Regulations 2016.

When there is an insurance claim

If you need to make a claim under our insurance policies we will need to ask you for your contact information and for details of the incident giving rise to the insurance claim, to pass to our brokers and insurers.  If a member of the public want to makes a claim on our policy in relation to your pub, we will need both their and your information and details of the claim. 

When we ask for other people’s personal data

If you need to provide us with information about other people, either as part of the application process or at any other time during the course of your tenancy or lease with us, please ask them to read this notice before you do so.