Do I need a license or qualification to run a pub?

So, you're ready to jump into the exciting world of running a pub business? Before you do so, there are some qualifications and licenses that are essential before you get started. The good news is that you can start acquiring these now, saving time and putting you in a better position when your perfect pub comes along.

At Greene King Pub Partners we provide our prospective landlords with plenty of support and training to help get you started.

What Is Pre-Entry Awareness Training?

The most important qualification for your new career is the British Institute of Innkeeping Pre-Awareness Training (PEAT). Completing this training is a legal requirement before you can sign any final agreements.

It ensures that you are well-versed in all aspects of leased and tenanted pub agreements and gives you a solid foundation in business planning and pub management.

What Licensing Qualifications Do I Need?

Every pub licensee is required to hold both a Personal Licence to sell alcohol as well as a Premises Licence. The Personal Licence allows you to sell alcohol on behalf of any business that has a premises licence.

To obtain a Personal Licence you must first obtain a relevant licensing qualification which demonstrates your understanding of the Licensing Act 2003 and shows you are able to sell alcohol responsibly. A list of accredited qualification providers can be found here.

In order to sell alcohol, you must also have a Premises Licence which we hold and allocate for all our pubs. When you apply, you must be, or nominate a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). This is known as a Designated Premises Manager (DPM) in Scotland. The DPS or DPM must possess a Personal Licence to sell alcohol.

What If I Want To Sell Food?

If you're planning to sell food, you will need to register with your local authority at least 28 days before you start trading. Registration is free and can't be refused. If you are already trading and have not registered yet, you need to do so as soon as possible as this is a legal requirement. Further information can be found on the Food Standards Agency website.

The site also offers a range of supporting materials to assist you with the prerequisites, including information on risk assessments, food safety, and allergen management.

What Support Will I Receive From Greene King Pub Partners?

Prior to taking over your new Greene King pub business you will be required to attend our 4 Day Pub Power Welcome programme. Our Welcome programme ensures you are armed with all the information you need to know about running a pub business. It also provides you with a great opportunity to network and connect with other new Greene King partners and meet the wider Greene King team. You’ll also find out what it means to be part of the Greene King community and all the benefits this provides you.

When you join Greene King you will be assigned a regional trainer, dedicated to help support you and your team with any training needs you may have.

Greene King Pub Partners has a great reputation for training and we offer many resources that can be accessed by licensees, both before and after taking on a pub.

What Other Licences Will I Need?

Depending on the type of pub you are looking to run, there may be other licences you need to consider. For example, if you plan to play music or screen sporting events you will need specific licences to do so.

Playing recorded music will require a PPL and PRS Licence, while screening Premier League Football involves using an authorised supplier such as Sky or BT.

Your Premises Licence will cover most forms of entertainment but there may be occasions when you will need to apply for a Temporary Events Notice (TENs) for special events. This can be arranged by contacting your local council at least 10 working days before your event.

What Practical Skills Do I Need?

Running a pub involves various practical skills and knowledge such as cellar management, finance and marketing know-how. Don't worry if you're not an expert in these areas. Most people entering the pub industry bring valuable skills from their former working life and our Pub Power Welcome programme will help plug any knowledge gaps you have.

We also run monthly cellar management courses in Bury St Edmunds and at our distribution centre in Abingdon. In addition to these courses, our regional trainers can provide bespoke cellar management sessions for you and your team within your own pub.

What About Outsourcing And Delegating?

Remember, you don't have to do it all alone! Outsourcing and delegating tasks is an important business skill. Focus on what you do best and let professionals handle the rest.

It is also sensible to utilise the skills of your staff and provide them with additional training to take on new responsibilities, such as managing the pub's social media channels. This way, you can focus on growing your business, improving your offering, and ensuring everything runs smoothly.

Running your own pub can be incredibly rewarding. It's a chance to explore your creativity, flex your entrepreneurial muscle and be your own boss.

Get started on making your pub dreams a reality by calling 01284 843200 or email 

Alternatively, check out our useful webinars for more information on running a pub with us.